Any tutorials?

Sergio Muriel

Hi,

does anyone know about any easy to follow Syncope tutorials or documentation?

I have been reading the reference guide but I find it hard to follow.

This is what I need to do: Synchronize db2db fields, web service to web service and database fields to web service and vice versa.

Thank you for your answer.

Re: Any tutorials?

On 10/08/2017 19:16, Sergio Muriel wrote:

Hi,

does anyone know about any easy to follow Syncope tutorials or documentation?

I have been reading the reference guide but I find it hard to follow.

This is what I need to do: Synchronize db2db fields, web service to web service and database fields to web service and vice versa.

Hi Sergio, and welcome to Apache Syncope!

We don't have much "from 0 to ready" tutorials out there; you might want to read this post by Colm about pulling users from LDAP:

http://coheigea.blogspot.it/2016/08/pulling-users-and-groups-from-ldap-into.html

Also, someone started a primer a while ago

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SYNCOPE/Apache+Syncope+2.0+Primer

but it's in the very early stages.

At a high level, for your own use case you'll need to:

1. define all the plain schemas you want to model for the Internal Storage
2. create one or more Connectors
3. for each Connector, create one or more External Resource where you define the mapping between Internal Storage's schemas and External Resource's attributes
4. for each Resource you want to pull users from, create a Pull Task

I'd suggest to start with one Connector / Resource (maybe for the DB you want to pull users from) and then proceed incrementally.

If the users you want to pull from the external DB fit in a single table, you can use the DBTable connector, otherwise you'll need the ScriptedSQL, which also requires to code / adjust some Groovy scripts to work.

Maybe it's also an idea for you to start with the Standalone Distribution, which is full of test data, and look at how things are configured there.

HTH

Re: Any tutorials?

Sergio Muriel

Thank you Francesco.

I'm trying to accomplish what you say, however I'm having two issues at the moment:

  1. I log in to syncope-console/ as admin, click on Types -> AnyTypeClasses -> New AnyTypeClass but I find no schema to add because all lists are empty.
  2. I was able to create a connector in Topology -> connid -> Add New Connector, but when I try to create a resource for that connector it shows this error message: InvalidExternalResource. JDBC Driver is not found on classpath.

I created my project with maven archetype and run it with

mvn -P embedded,all

Any clue of what I'm doing wrong here?

Your help is very appreciated.

Sergio

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SYNCOPE/Apache&#43;Syncope&#43;2.0&#43;Primer">https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SYNCOPE/Apache+Syncope+2.0+Primer

[...]

Hi Sergio,
see my replies embedded below.

Regards.

On 17/08/2017 23:28, Sergio Muriel wrote:

Thank you Francesco.

I'm trying to accomplish what you say, however I'm having two issues at the moment:

  1. I log in to syncope-console/ as admin, click on Types -> AnyTypeClasses -> New AnyTypeClass but I find no schema to add because all lists are empty.

Of course, you need first to create new schemas that are not assigned yet to any AnyTypeClass.

  1. I was able to create a connector in Topology -> connid -> Add New Connector, but when I try to create a resource for that connector it shows this error message: InvalidExternalResource. JDBC Driver is not found on classpath.

This happens because you are likely attempting to create a DBTable or ScriptedSQL connector for a DBMS (MySQL / MariaDB? PostgreSQL? other?), for which you'll need to include the related JDBC driver.

Since it seems you're running the Maven project, just add the related dependency to core/pom.xml (right before the first </dependencies> occurrence):

        <dependency>
          <groupId>mysql</groupId>
          <artifactId>mysql-connector-java</artifactId>
          <version>5.1.42</version>
        </dependency>

for MySQL, or

        <dependency>
          <groupId>org.mariadb.jdbc</groupId>
          <artifactId>mariadb-java-client</artifactId>
          <version>1.6.1</version>
        </dependency>

for MariaDB, and so on.

I created my project with maven archetype and run it with

mvn -P embedded,all

Any clue of what I'm doing wrong here?

Your help is very appreciated.

Sergio

Re: Any tutorials?

Sergio Muriel

Hi Francesco,

First point about AnyTypeClasses worked flawlessly. (Although I'm still trying to figure out why I cannot reuse those schemata pre-loaded there).

Second point about dependency still throws same error: "InvalidExternalResource. JDBC Driver is not found on classpath." This is what I added (right before the first </dependencies> occurrence in core/pom.xml):

    <dependency>
      <groupId>mysql</groupId>
      <artifactId>mysql-connector-java</artifactId>
      <version>5.1.42</version>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>com.microsoft.sqlserver</groupId>
      <artifactId>sqljdbc4</artifactId>
      <version>4.0</version>
    </dependency>
  </dependencies>

Since I'm trying to connect to sqlserver as well.
Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Best Regards,
Sergio

Re: Any tutorials?

Sergio Muriel

Hi again Francesco,

I take back part of what I said on the second point. The dependency addition actually works and downloads the drivers, but I did it on enduser/pom.xml instead of core/pom.xml because the Getting Started page [1] suggests to run it from there:

" ...... then, from the enduser subdirectory, execute:
mvn -P embedded,all"

Is it okay?

[1] https://syncope.apache.org/docs/getting-started.html

Re: Any tutorials?

Hi Sergio,
about some points below:

> First point about AnyTypeClasses worked flawlessly. (Although I'm still trying
> to figure out why I cannot reuse those schemata pre-loaded there).

The pre-loaded Schemas are already assigned to some AnyTypeClass - and each Schema might be assigned to an AnyTypeClass instance at most.

> I take back part of what I said on the second point. The dependency addition
> actually works and downloads the drivers, but I did it on enduser/pom.xml
> instead of core/pom.xml because the Getting Started page [1] suggests to run it
> from there:
>
> " ...... then, from the enduser subdirectory, execute:
> mvn -P embedded,all"

Logically, the MySQL JDBC driver is used by the Core, not by the Enduser UI, so the correct procedure is to add the dependency to core/pom.xml, rebuild everything from the root directory via "mvn clean install" or "mvn -Pall clean install", then move back to the enduser subdirectory and start as reported by the Getting Started guide.

Regards.

On 19-ago-17, at 2:37, Sergio Muriel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi again Francesco,

> I take back part of what I said on the second point. The dependency addition
> actually works and downloads the drivers, but I did it on enduser/pom.xml
> instead of core/pom.xml because the Getting Started page [1] suggests to run it
> from there:

> " ...... then, from the enduser subdirectory, execute:
> mvn -P embedded,all"

> Is it okay?

> [1] https://syncope.apache.org/docs/getting-started.html

Re: Any tutorials?

Sergio Muriel

Although I can see now the drivers in:

core/target/syncope/WEB-INF/lib/mssql-jdbc-6.1.0.jre8.jar

core/target/syncope/WEB-INF/lib/mysql-connector-java-5.1.42.jar

I still get the same error "InvalidExternalResource [JDBC Driver is not found on classpath.]" when I try to create a new resource.

I did as you suggest:

  1. Added the dependency to core/pom.xml
  2. Rebuilt everything from the root directory via "mvn -Pall clean install".
  3. Ran it from enduser via "mvn -P embedded,all"

I don't know what is wrong.

Best Regards,
Sergio

> First point about AnyTypeClasses worked flawlessly. (Although I'm still trying
> to figure out why I cannot reuse those schemata pre-loaded there).

The pre-loaded Schemas are already assigned to some AnyTypeClass - and each Schema might be assigned to an AnyTypeClass instance at most.

> I take back part of what I said on the second point. The dependency addition
> actually works and downloads the drivers, but I did it on enduser/pom.xml
> instead of core/pom.xml because the Getting Started page [1] suggests to run it
> from there:
>
> " ...... then, from the enduser subdirectory, execute:
> mvn -P embedded,all"

Logically, the MySQL JDBC driver is used by the Core, not by the Enduser UI, so the correct procedure is to add the dependency to core/pom.xml, rebuild everything from the root directory via "mvn clean install" or "mvn -Pall clean install", then move back to the enduser subdirectory and start as reported by the Getting Started guide.

Regards.

On 19-ago-17, at 2:37, Sergio Muriel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi again Francesco,

> I take back part of what I said on the second point. The dependency addition
> actually works and downloads the drivers, but I did it on enduser/pom.xml
> instead of core/pom.xml because the Getting Started page [1] suggests to run it
> from there:

> " ...... then, from the enduser subdirectory, execute:
> mvn -P embedded,all"

> Is it okay?

> [1] https://syncope.apache.org/docs/getting-started.html

Re: Any tutorials?

On 2017-08-20 01:20 Sergio Muriel wrote:

> Although I can see now the drivers in:
>
> core/target/syncope/WEB-INF/lib/mssql-jdbc-6.1.0.jre8.jar
>
> core/target/syncope/WEB-INF/lib/mysql-connector-java-5.1.42.jar
>
> I still get the same error "InvalidExternalResource [JDBC Driver is not
> found on classpath.]" when I try to create a new resource.
>
> I did as you suggest:
>
> * Added the dependency to core/pom.xml
> * Rebuilt everything from the root directory via "mvn -Pall clean
> install".
> * Ran it from enduser via "mvn -P embedded,all"
>
> I don't know what is wrong.
Which value did you provide for the "JDBC Driver" property? Are you
attempting to configure the DBTable Connector Bundle?

https://connid.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/BASE/pages/360497/Database+Table#DatabaseTable-ConfigurationProperties

Regards.

> FROM: Francesco Chicchiriccò <[hidden email]>
> SENT: Saturday, August 19, 2017 7:39 AM
> TO: [hidden email]
> SUBJECT: Re: Any tutorials?
>
> Hi Sergio,
> about some points below:
>
>> First point about AnyTypeClasses worked flawlessly. (Although I'm
>> still trying
>> to figure out why I cannot reuse those schemata pre-loaded there).
>
> The pre-loaded Schemas are already assigned to some AnyTypeClass - and
> each Schema might be assigned to an AnyTypeClass instance at most.
>
>> I take back part of what I said on the second point. The dependency
>> addition
>> actually works and downloads the drivers, but I did it on
>> enduser/pom.xml
>> instead of core/pom.xml because the Getting Started page [1] suggests
>> to run it
>> from there:
>>
>> " ...... then, from the enduser subdirectory, execute:
>> mvn -P embedded,all"
>
> Logically, the MySQL JDBC driver is used by the Core, not by the
> Enduser UI, so the correct procedure is to add the dependency to
> core/pom.xml, rebuild everything from the root directory via "mvn clean
> install" or "mvn -Pall clean install", then move back to the enduser
> subdirectory and start as reported by the Getting Started guide.
>
> Regards.
>
> On 19-ago-17, at 2:37, Sergio Muriel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi again Francesco,
>
>> I take back part of what I said on the second point. The dependency
>> addition
>> actually works and downloads the drivers, but I did it on
>> enduser/pom.xml
>> instead of core/pom.xml because the Getting Started page [1] suggests
>> to run it
>> from there:
>
>> " ...... then, from the enduser subdirectory, execute:
>> mvn -P embedded,all"
>
>> Is it okay?
>
>> [1] https://syncope.apache.org/docs/getting-started.html
>
> Apache Syncope 2.0.4 - Getting Started
> syncope.apache.org
> Apache Syncope is an Open Source system for managing digital identities
> in enterprise environments, implemented in Java EE technology and
> released under the Apache 2 ...

>>> Regards.

blocked.gif (164 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Any tutorials?

Sergio Muriel

com.mysql.jdbc.Driver for MySQL

com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver for SQL Server

Yes, I'm trying to configure a DBTable Connector Bundle?

On 2017-08-20 01:20 Sergio Muriel wrote:

> [...]

> Regards.
>
> On 19-ago-17, at 2:37, Sergio Muriel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi again Francesco,
>
>> I take back part of what I said on the second point. The dependency
>> addition
>> actually works and downloads the drivers, but I did it on
>> enduser/pom.xml
>> instead of core/pom.xml because the Getting Started page [1] suggests
>> to run it
>> from there:
>
>> " ...... then, from the enduser subdirectory, execute:
>> mvn -P embedded,all"
>
>> Is it okay?
>
>> [1] https://syncope.apache.org/docs/getting-started.html

> Apache Syncope 2.0.4 - Getting Started
> syncope.apache.org
> Apache Syncope is an Open Source system for managing digital identities
> in enterprise environments, implemented in Java EE technology and

>>> Regards.

Re: Any tutorials?

Hi Sergio,
sorry, my bad.

You need to:

1. declare the JDBC driver dependency in enduser/pom.xml (not core/pom.xml as said initially), as follows:

        <dependency>
          <groupId>mysql</groupId>
          <artifactId>mysql-connector-java</artifactId>
          <version>5.1.42</version>
          <scope>test</scope>
        </dependency>

right after

        <dependency>
          <groupId>com.h2database</groupId>
          <artifactId>h2</artifactId>
          <scope>test</scope>
        </dependency>

2. add the JDBC driver as Tomcat dependency, via cargo:

                  <dependency>
                    <groupId>mysql</groupId>
                    <artifactId>mysql-connector-java</artifactId>
                  </dependency>

right after

                  <dependency>
                    <groupId>com.h2database</groupId>
                    <artifactId>h2</artifactId>
                  </dependency>

I have just tried to be sure, and it worked in embedded mode.

In case of deployment onto an external container (rather than in embedded mode), you'll have to copy the JDBC Driver JAR onto the container's classpath ($CATALINA_HOME/lib for Tomcat).

HTH
Regards.

On 2017-08-20 01:20 Sergio Muriel wrote:

> [...]

> Regards.
>
> On 19-ago-17, at 2:37, Sergio Muriel [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Hi again Francesco,
>
>> I take back part of what I said on the second point. The dependency
>> addition
>> actually works and downloads the drivers, but I did it on
>> enduser/pom.xml
>> instead of core/pom.xml because the Getting Started page [1] suggests
>> to run it
>> from there:
>
>> " ...... then, from the enduser subdirectory, execute:
>> mvn -P embedded,all"
>
>> Is it okay?
>
>> [1] https://syncope.apache.org/docs/getting-started.html

> Apache Syncope 2.0.4 - Getting Started
> syncope.apache.org
> Apache Syncope is an Open Source system for managing digital identities
> in enterprise environments, implemented in Java EE technology and

>>> Regards.

Re: Any tutorials?

Sergio Muriel

Don't worry! Actually this solution for embedded mode works like a charm!! Thank you!!

On the other hand, I'm having an issue when I deploy it to an external container (Tomcat): In Topology view, it shows no connectors in between the resources and Connid (connid://testconnectorserver@localhost:4554 for me); in other words it looses all connectors.

Do you know what is wrong?

PD: I'm using same war files generated for embedded mode. I just copy them in webapps/.

Best Regards,
Sergio Muriel

<a id="LPUrlAnchor_15033462502640.9084350436638184" href="https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SYNCOPE/Apache&#43;Syncope&#43;2.0&#43;Primer" target="_blank" style="text-decoration:none">Apache Syncope 2.0 Primer - Apache Software Foundation
cwiki.apache.org
Often, when Apache Syncope is used to store user data, it becomes important to customize the fields that can be added to user. For example, if we needed to include an ...

> Apache Syncope 2.0 Primer - Apache Software Foundation
> cwiki.apache.org
> Often, when Apache Syncope is used to store user data, it becomes
> important to customize the fields that can be added to user. For
> example, if we needed to include an ...
>
>>> but it's in the very early stages.
>
>>> At a high level, for your own use case you'll need to:
>
>>> 1. define all the plain schemas you want to model for the Internal
>>> Storage
>>> 2. create one or more Connectors
>>> 3. for each Connector, create one or more External Resource where you
>>> define the
>>> mapping between Internal Storage's schemas and External Resource's
>>> attributes
>>> 4. for each Resource you want to pull users from, create a Pull Task
>
>>> I'd suggest to start with one Connector / Resource (maybe for the DB
>>> you want to
>>> pull users from) and then proceed incrementally.
>
>>> If the users you want to pull from the external DB fit in a single
>>> table, you
>>> can use the DBTable connector, otherwise you'll need the ScriptedSQL,
>>> which
>>> also requires to code / adjust some Groovy scripts to work.
>
>>> Maybe it's also an idea for you to start with the Standalone
>>> Distribution, which
>>> is full of test data, and look at how things are configured there.
>
>>> HTH
>>> Regards.

Re: Any tutorials?

On 23/08/2017 18:53, Sergio Muriel wrote:

Don't worry! Actually this solution for embedded mode works like a charm!! Thank you!!

Good to hear this :-)

On the other hand, I'm having an issue when I deploy it to an external container (Tomcat): In Topology view, it shows no connectors in between the resources and Connid (connid://testconnectorserver@localhost:4554 for me); in other words it looses all connectors.

Do you know what is wrong?

PD: I'm using same war files generated for embedded mode. I just copy them in webapps/.

This won't work: as the big warning at the end of

http://syncope.apache.org/docs/getting-started.html#maven-project

says: "Before actual deployment onto a standalone Java EE container, you need to further check the Customization chapter of the Apache Syncope Reference Guide", e.g.

https://syncope.apache.org/docs/reference-guide.html#customization

You'll need to (as indicated in the Reference Guide):

1. create /opt/syncope and its subdirectories as suggested
2. build with all the indicated switches (-Dconf.directory=... etc)
3. copy the filtered property files
4. only at this point deploy the generated WAR files

HTH
Regards.

On 2017-08-20 01:20 Sergio Muriel wrote:

> [...]

>> actually works and downloads the drivers, but I did it on
>> enduser/pom.xml
>> instead of core/pom.xml because the Getting Started page [1] suggests
>> to run it
>> from there:
>
>> " ...... then, from the enduser subdirectory, execute:
>> mvn -P embedded,all"
>
>> Is it okay?
>
>> [1] https://syncope.apache.org/docs/getting-started.html
syncope.apache.org
Apache Syncope is an Open Source system for managing digital identities in enterprise environments, implemented in Java EE technology and released under the Apache 2 ...

> Apache Syncope 2.0.4 - Getting Started
> syncope.apache.org
> Apache Syncope is an Open Source system for managing digital identities
> in enterprise environments, implemented in Java EE technology and

>>> Regards.