Syncope .deb installation, no resources tab

Syncope .deb installation, no resources tab

Thomas Maerz
Hi,

I’ve just installed Syncope on Ubuntu Server 16.04 using the .deb packages. I am looking to create an Active Directory Connector. The connector bundle is in the bundles directory out of the box, but my installation does not have a resources tab in the syncope-console. I’ve read the documentation and I don’t know what I am doing wrong. Can the .deb installation not utilize resource connectors or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
Thomas Maerz

Re: Syncope .deb installation, no resources tab

On 04/11/2016 15:44, Thomas Maerz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’ve just installed Syncope on Ubuntu Server 16.04 using the .deb packages. I am looking to create an Active Directory Connector. The connector bundle is in the bundles directory out of the box, but my installation does not have a resources tab in the syncope-console. I’ve read the documentation and I don’t know what I am doing wrong. Can the .deb installation not utilize resource connectors or am I doing something wrong?

Hi Thomas,
which version are you running? It looks like you are looking at the wiki
pages, which are working for Syncope prior to 2.0 (e.g. 1.2, 1.1, ...),
not for 2.0 and above.

I would suggest to take a look at the official docs:

https://syncope.apache.org/docs/getting-started.html
https://syncope.apache.org/docs/reference-guide.html

This tutorial might also be useful for your use case:

http://coheigea.blogspot.it/2016/08/pulling-users-and-groups-from-ldap-into.html

HTH

Re: Syncope .deb installation, no resources tab

Thomas Maerz
So there is no documentation still for Syncope 2.0 working with AD?

If this is the case, would it be better for me to just use Syncope 1.x?

Thomas

> On Nov 4, 2016, at 9:48 AM, Francesco Chicchiriccò <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 04/11/2016 15:44, Thomas Maerz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I’ve just installed Syncope on Ubuntu Server 16.04 using the .deb packages. I am looking to create an Active Directory Connector. The connector bundle is in the bundles directory out of the box, but my installation does not have a resources tab in the syncope-console. I’ve read the documentation and I don’t know what I am doing wrong. Can the .deb installation not utilize resource connectors or am I doing something wrong?
>
> Hi Thomas,
> which version are you running? It looks like you are looking at the wiki pages, which are working for Syncope prior to 2.0 (e.g. 1.2, 1.1, ...), not for 2.0 and above.
>
> I would suggest to take a look at the official docs:
>
> https://syncope.apache.org/docs/getting-started.html
> https://syncope.apache.org/docs/reference-guide.html
>
> This tutorial might also be useful for your use case:
>
> http://coheigea.blogspot.it/2016/08/pulling-users-and-groups-from-ldap-into.html
>
> HTH
> Regards.
>
> --
> Francesco Chicchiriccò
>
> Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
> http://www.tirasa.net/

> http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: Syncope .deb installation, no resources tab

Wow, a timebomb from 6 months ago :-)

There is no (yet) step-by-step tutorial for Syncope and AD available, but:

1. several other people seemed to succeed at it - see the recent [1] for
example - so I guess it shouldn't be hard for them to support you here
2. there is absolutely no point in starting a project with Syncope 1.2 today

Regards

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/bc0a61c40790a4f7e13076b8b9d2a6073a76fffc29d9773bac7e265e@%3Cuser.syncope.apache.org%3E

On 18/05/2017 17:24, Thomas Maerz wrote:

> So there is no documentation still for Syncope 2.0 working with AD?
>
> If this is the case, would it be better for me to just use Syncope 1.x?
>
> Thomas
>
>> On Nov 4, 2016, at 9:48 AM, Francesco Chicchiriccò <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 04/11/2016 15:44, Thomas Maerz wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I’ve just installed Syncope on Ubuntu Server 16.04 using the .deb packages. I am looking to create an Active Directory Connector. The connector bundle is in the bundles directory out of the box, but my installation does not have a resources tab in the syncope-console. I’ve read the documentation and I don’t know what I am doing wrong. Can the .deb installation not utilize resource connectors or am I doing something wrong?
>> Hi Thomas,
>> which version are you running? It looks like you are looking at the wiki pages, which are working for Syncope prior to 2.0 (e.g. 1.2, 1.1, ...), not for 2.0 and above.
>>
>> I would suggest to take a look at the official docs:
>>
>> https://syncope.apache.org/docs/getting-started.html
>> https://syncope.apache.org/docs/reference-guide.html
>>
>> This tutorial might also be useful for your use case:
>>
>> http://coheigea.blogspot.it/2016/08/pulling-users-and-groups-from-ldap-into.html
>>
>> HTH
>> Regards.

Re: Syncope .deb installation, no resources tab

Thomas Maerz
Yes, sorry about that. I started on this in preparation for a migration project and we proceeded without it. For now we have been manually synchronizing the directories but it appears it will go on longer than anticipated so I’d like to get something set up to eliminate human error.

Thank you for the response.

Thomas

> On May 18, 2017, at 10:28 AM, Francesco Chicchiriccò <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Wow, a timebomb from 6 months ago :-)
>
> There is no (yet) step-by-step tutorial for Syncope and AD available, but:
>
> 1. several other people seemed to succeed at it - see the recent [1] for example - so I guess it shouldn't be hard for them to support you here
> 2. there is absolutely no point in starting a project with Syncope 1.2 today
>
> Regards
>
> [1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/bc0a61c40790a4f7e13076b8b9d2a6073a76fffc29d9773bac7e265e@%3Cuser.syncope.apache.org%3E
>
> On 18/05/2017 17:24, Thomas Maerz wrote:
>> So there is no documentation still for Syncope 2.0 working with AD?
>>
>> If this is the case, would it be better for me to just use Syncope 1.x?
>>
>> Thomas

>>> Hi Thomas,
>>> which version are you running? It looks like you are looking at the wiki pages, which are working for Syncope prior to 2.0 (e.g. 1.2, 1.1, ...), not for 2.0 and above.
>>>
>>> I would suggest to take a look at the official docs:
>>>
>>> https://syncope.apache.org/docs/getting-started.html
>>> https://syncope.apache.org/docs/reference-guide.html
>>>
>>> This tutorial might also be useful for your use case:
>>>
>>> http://coheigea.blogspot.it/2016/08/pulling-users-and-groups-from-ldap-into.html
>>>
>>> HTH
>>> Regards.
>
> --
> Francesco Chicchiriccò
>
> Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
> http://www.tirasa.net/

> http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: Syncope .deb installation, no resources tab

Thomas Maerz
Question though,

In order to use the AD ConnID, should I deploy using Maven or will .deb work fine?

Thomas

On 18/05/2017 17:32, Thomas Maerz wrote:
> Question though,
>
> In order to use the AD ConnID, should I deploy using Maven or will .deb work fine?

If you are using .deb, just check the content of the directory

/var/lib/apache-syncope/bundles

to see if the AD connector bundle is already there.

Regards.

>> On May 18, 2017, at 10:30 AM, Thomas Maerz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, sorry about that. I started on this in preparation for a migration project and we proceeded without it. For now we have been manually synchronizing the directories but it appears it will go on longer than anticipated so I’d like to get something set up to eliminate human error.
>>
>> Thank you for the response.
>>
>> Thomas
>>
>>> On May 18, 2017, at 10:28 AM, Francesco Chicchiriccò <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Wow, a timebomb from 6 months ago :-)
>>>
>>> There is no (yet) step-by-step tutorial for Syncope and AD available, but:
>>>
>>> 1. several other people seemed to succeed at it - see the recent [1] for example - so I guess it shouldn't be hard for them to support you here
>>> 2. there is absolutely no point in starting a project with Syncope 1.2 today
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> [1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/bc0a61c40790a4f7e13076b8b9d2a6073a76fffc29d9773bac7e265e@%3Cuser.syncope.apache.org%3E

Re: Syncope .deb installation, no resources tab

João Graça
Hello Thomas,

In order to contribute a little to the community, hero goes what i did (maybe some steps i forgot) to connect to AD, from the fresh install of CentOS...

Install java 8 (from tar.gz, not from package manager)
install maven (from tar.gz, not from package manager)
install tomcat8.5 (from tar.gz, not from package manager)

Somehow followed this links:
https://github.com/Tirasa/syncopeOnJBoss/blob/master/README.md
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SYNCOPE/Run+Syncope+in+real+environments
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SYNCOPE/Configure+an+Active+Directory+resource

Basically,
~# mkdir -p /opt/syncope/bundles
~# mkdir -p /opt/syncope/log
~# mkdir -p /opt/syncope/conf

~#mkdir build
~#cd build
build# mvn archetype:generate
-DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.syncope
-DarchetypeArtifactId=syncope-archetype
-DarchetypeRepository=http://repo1.maven.org/maven2
-DarchetypeVersion=2.0.3

(here follow the prompts)
build#cd syncope
syncope# mvn -Dconf.directory=/opt/syncope/conf   -Dbundles.directory=/opt/syncope/bundles   -Dlog.directory=/opt/syncope/log -P all clean package

syncope# cp core/target/classes/*properties /opt/syncope/conf/
syncope# cp console/target/classes/*properties /opt/syncope/conf/
syncope# cp enduser/target/classes/*properties /opt/syncope/conf/

syncope# cp core/target/syncope.war /opt/tomcat8.5/webapps/
syncope# cp console/target/syncope-console.war /opt/tomcat8.5/webapps/
syncope# cp enduser/target/syncope-enduser.war /opt/tomcat8.5/webapps/
syncope# cp console/target/syncope-console.war /opt/tomcat8.5/webapps/

Probably you will find some problems with permissions or something, remember to check that.
And before mvn package confirm the configs in
core/src/main/resources/domains/Master.properties
core/src/main/resources/persistence.properties
core/src/main/resources/provisioning.properties
core/src/main/resources/persistence.properties

Here you'll find some more help with the configs
https://github.com/apache/syncope/tree/master/fit/core-reference/src/main/resources

With the syncope up and running...
Connector definitions:
SSL
true
hostname
your hostname
retrieve deleted users
true
server port
636
retrieve deleted groups
true
trust all certs
true
principal
your windows server admin, probably like CN=Administrator,CN=Users,DC=example,DC=com
root suffixes
DC=example,DC=com
default people container
CN=Users,DC=example,DC=com (or where you want the users)
default group container
CN=Users,DC=example,DC=com (or where you want the groups)
user search scope
subtree
entry object classes
top; person; organizationalPerson; user; group; inetOrgPerson
group search scope
subtree
custom user/group search filter
leave empty
base context for user/group entry searches
CN=Users,DC=example,DC=com
group members reference attribute
member
Group owner reference attibute