Syncope startup performance improvements

Syncope startup performance improvements

Adrian Gonzalez
Hello,

I'm using syncope 2.0.0-M4.
Standalone startup takes 135s on my laptop.

I would like to improve syncope's startup.

I've made some experimentations :

1. Restricting scanning on basePackages
    I've changed ClassPathScanImplementationLookup to scan only some specific packages.
    This results in a 32s startup.

2. Adding startStopThreads="5" in server.xml
    This results in a 26s startup.

3. I've also tried to set <JarScanner scanClassPath="false"/> in context.xml, but no improvement.

4. I've further modified ClassPathScanImplementationLookup to scan a fixed list of classes.
   As is, this doesn't work.
   I would have a 20.7s startup (cumulated with change 2)

Could it be possible to incorporate first PR in syncope code (pull/36) ? Sorry, I made PR on 2.0.0-M4, but could make 2.0.0-SNASPHOT work
Are you interested in improvement #4 ? (in this case, I can spend a bit more time on it)

Thanks,
Adrian

Re: Syncope startup performance improvements

your improvement looks interesting; would you mind:

1. sending an ICLA, as explained in the last paragraph from

http://syncope.apache.org/contributing.html

2. opening an improvement on JIRA?

I'll take a deeper look once back at work, this Thursday.

Thanks for your contribution.
Regards.

On 29 aug 2016 16:04:50 CEST, Adrian Gonzalez <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hello,
>I'm using syncope 2.0.0-M4.Standalone startup takes 135s on my laptop.
>I would like to improve syncope's startup.
>I've made some experimentations :
>1. Restricting scanning on basePackages    I've changed
>ClassPathScanImplementationLookup to scan only some specific
>packages.    This results in a 32s startup.
>    https://github.com/apache/syncope/pull/36
>
>2. Adding startStopThreads="5" in server.xml    This results in a 26s
>startup.
>3. I've also tried to set <JarScanner scanClassPath="false"/> in
>context.xml, but no improvement.
>4. I've further modified ClassPathScanImplementationLookup to scan a
>fixed list of classes.   As is, this doesn't work.   I would have a
>20.7s startup (cumulated with change 2)
>https://github.com/gonzalad/syncope/tree/2.0.0-M2-startup-perf2
>

>Could it be possible to incorporate first PR in syncope code (pull/36)
>? Sorry, I made PR on 2.0.0-M4, but could make 2.0.0-SNASPHOT work
>Are you interested in improvement #4 ? (in this case, I can spend a bit
>more time on it)
>Thanks,Adrian

member, Syncope PMC chair, Cocoon PMC, Olingo PMC,
CXF Committer, OpenJPA Committer

Re: Syncope startup performance improvements

Adrian Gonzalez
Hi Francesco,

I've signed the ICLA (sent you in pm), and created issue https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYNCOPE-926

Thanks for considering the fix !
Adrian

De : Francesco Chicchiriccò <[hidden email]>
À : [hidden email]
Envoyé le : Lundi 29 août 2016 18h47
Objet : Re: Syncope startup performance improvements

Hi,
your improvement looks interesting; would you mind:

1. sending an ICLA, as explained in the last paragraph from

http://syncope.apache.org/contributing.html

2. opening an improvement on JIRA?

I'll take a deeper look once back at work, this Thursday.

Thanks for your contribution.
Regards.

On 29 aug 2016 16:04:50 CEST, Adrian Gonzalez <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hello,
>I'm using syncope 2.0.0-M4.Standalone startup takes 135s on my laptop.
>I would like to improve syncope's startup.
>I've made some experimentations :
>1. Restricting scanning on basePackages    I've changed
>ClassPathScanImplementationLookup to scan only some specific
>packages.    This results in a 32s startup.
>    https://github.com/apache/syncope/pull/36
>
>2. Adding startStopThreads="5" in server.xml    This results in a 26s
>startup.
>3. I've also tried to set <JarScanner scanClassPath="false"/> in
>context.xml, but no improvement.
>4. I've further modified ClassPathScanImplementationLookup to scan a
>fixed list of classes.   As is, this doesn't work.   I would have a
>20.7s startup (cumulated with change 2)
>https://github.com/gonzalad/syncope/tree/2.0.0-M2-startup-perf2
>

>Could it be possible to incorporate first PR in syncope code (pull/36)
>? Sorry, I made PR on 2.0.0-M4, but could make 2.0.0-SNASPHOT work
>Are you interested in improvement #4 ? (in this case, I can spend a bit
>more time on it)
>Thanks,Adrian

member, Syncope PMC chair, Cocoon PMC, Olingo PMC,
CXF Committer, OpenJPA Committer

Re: Syncope startup performance improvements

Not to me, please follow the linked instructions, thanks.

Il 30 agosto 2016 10:18:24 CEST, Adrian Gonzalez <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

>Hi Francesco,
>I've signed the ICLA (sent you in pm), and created
>issue https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYNCOPE-926
>Thanks for considering the fix !Adrian
>
>      De : Francesco Chicchiriccò <[hidden email]>
> À : [hidden email]
> Envoyé le : Lundi 29 août 2016 18h47
> Objet : Re: Syncope startup performance improvements
>
>Hi,
>your improvement looks interesting; would you mind:
>
>1. sending an ICLA, as explained in the last paragraph from
>
>http://syncope.apache.org/contributing.html
>
>2. opening an improvement on JIRA?
>
>I'll take a deeper look once back at work, this Thursday.
>
>Thanks for your contribution.
>Regards.
>
>On 29 aug 2016 16:04:50 CEST, Adrian Gonzalez <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>>Hello,
>>I'm using syncope 2.0.0-M4.Standalone startup takes 135s on my laptop.
>>I would like to improve syncope's startup.
>>I've made some experimentations :
>>1. Restricting scanning on basePackages    I've changed
>>ClassPathScanImplementationLookup to scan only some specific
>>packages.    This results in a 32s startup.
>>    https://github.com/apache/syncope/pull/36
>>
>>2. Adding startStopThreads="5" in server.xml    This results in a 26s
>>startup.
>>3. I've also tried to set <JarScanner scanClassPath="false"/> in
>>context.xml, but no improvement.
>>4. I've further modified ClassPathScanImplementationLookup to scan a
>>fixed list of classes.   As is, this doesn't work.   I would have a
>>20.7s startup (cumulated with change 2)
>>https://github.com/gonzalad/syncope/tree/2.0.0-M2-startup-perf2
>>

>>Could it be possible to incorporate first PR in syncope code (pull/36)
>>? Sorry, I made PR on 2.0.0-M4, but could make 2.0.0-SNASPHOT work
>>Are you interested in improvement #4 ? (in this case, I can spend a
>bit
>>more time on it)
>>Thanks,Adrian

member, Syncope PMC chair, Cocoon PMC, Olingo PMC,
CXF Committer, OpenJPA Committer

Re: Syncope startup performance improvements

Adrian Gonzalez

Just a little feedback on 2.0.0-M5 and SYNCOPE-926 :
 * we've upgraded to syncope-2.0.0-SNAPSHOT (past M5) it works fine, so far so good ;)
 * with the improvements made in 2.0.0-M5 and in SYNCOPE-926, we changed our startup speed from 215s to 24s.
    Note that our tomcat server contains both syncope and cxf, and I also added scanClassPath="false" and startStopThreads="5" to our tomcat configuration.

Thanks once more !
Adrian

De : Francesco Chicchiriccò <[hidden email]>
À : [hidden email]

De : Francesco Chicchiriccò [hidden email]
À : [hidden email]
Envoyé le : Lundi 29 août 2016 18h47

Hi,
your improvement looks interesting; would you mind:

1. sending an ICLA, as explained in the last paragraph from

http://syncope.apache.org/contributing.html

2. opening an improvement on JIRA?

I'll take a deeper look once back at work, this Thursday.

Thanks for your contribution.
Regards.

On 29 aug 2016 16:04:50 CEST, Adrian Gonzalez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Hello,
>I'm using syncope 2.0.0-M4.Standalone startup takes 135s on my laptop.
>I would like to improve syncope's startup.
>I've made some experimentations :
>1. Restricting scanning on basePackages    I've changed
>ClassPathScanImplementationLookup to scan only some specific
>packages.    This results in a 32s startup.
>    https://github.com/apache/syncope/pull/36
>
>2. Adding startStopThreads="5" in server.xml    This results in a 26s
>startup.
>3. I've also tried to set <JarScanner scanClassPath="false"/> in
>context.xml, but no improvement.
>4. I've further modified ClassPathScanImplementationLookup to scan a
>fixed list of classes.   As is, this doesn't work.   I would have a
>20.7s startup (cumulated with change 2)
>https://github.com/gonzalad/syncope/tree/2.0.0-M2-startup-perf2
>

>Could it be possible to incorporate first PR in syncope code (pull/36)
>? Sorry, I made PR on 2.0.0-M4, but could make 2.0.0-SNASPHOT work
>Are you interested in improvement #4 ? (in this case, I can spend a bit
>more time on it)
>Thanks,Adrian

member, Syncope PMC chair, Cocoon PMC, Olingo PMC,
CXF Committer, OpenJPA Committer, PonyMail PPMC