Syncope user creation from REST client

Mani, Vellingiri (Nokia - IN)

Hi,

Currently, I am evaluating syncope for our usage. I would need to do bulk user creation from REST. I started to create single user from REST client and it fails.

From postman, I tried to create a user with below inputs. I get '400 Bad Request'.

If there is anything wrong in the request, please correct me. Is all fields mandatory during user creation.

POST - http://135.249.22.223:8080/syncope/rest/users

Authorization:
Basic Auth - admin/password

Headers:

Body:

{

  "@class": "org.apache.syncope.common.lib.to.UserTO",

  "creator": "admin",

  "lastModifier": "admin",

  "key": "rest1",

  "type": "USER",

  "realm": "/",

  "status": "Active",

  "auxClasses": [],

  "plainAttrs": [],

  "derAttrs": [],

  "virAttrs": [],

  "resources": []

}

Re: Syncope user creation from REST client

On 19/09/2016 12:03, Mani, Vellingiri (Nokia - IN) wrote:

Hi,

Currently, I am evaluating syncope for our usage. I would need to do bulk user creation from REST. I started to create single user from REST client and it fails.

From postman, I tried to create a user with below inputs. I get '400 Bad Request'.

If there is anything wrong in the request, please correct me. Is all fields mandatory during user creation.

POST - http://135.249.22.223:8080/syncope/rest/users

Authorization:
Basic Auth - admin/password

Headers:

Body:

{

  "@class": "org.apache.syncope.common.lib.to.UserTO",

  "creator": "admin",

  "lastModifier": "admin",

  "key": "rest1",

  "type": "USER",

  "realm": "/",

  "status": "Active",

  "auxClasses": [],

  "plainAttrs": [],

  "derAttrs": [],

  "virAttrs": [],

  "resources": []

}

Hi,
you should remove (not troublesome, just ignored):

* creator
* lastModifier
* key
* status

About what is mandatory, I can see there is no username.
Moreover, it depends on how you can your schemas and classes configured.

Please also take a look at logs to figure out what might go wrong.

RE: Syncope user creation from REST client

Mani, Vellingiri (Nokia - IN)

Thanks Francesco!!

After adding username, it works.

Regards,

Vellingiri

On 19/09/2016 12:15, Mani, Vellingiri (Nokia - IN) wrote:

Thanks Francesco!!

After adding username, it works.

RE: Syncope user creation from REST client

Mani, Vellingiri (Nokia - IN)

Hi Francesco,

I have a use case where I need to add thousands or more users in a single request.  i.e. bulk user creation.

Is it possible in Syncope ?

Regards,

Vellingiri

On 19/09/2016 12:22, Mani, Vellingiri (Nokia - IN) wrote:

Hi Francesco,

I have a use case where I need to add thousands or more users in a single request.  i.e. bulk user creation.

Is it possible in Syncope ?

Bulk actions are available for the operations defined at [1] (see some samples at [2] under the "Delete several users at once" example) - which does not include create.

Instead of bulk creating thousand users via REST, I would rather suggest to rely on some external connector: which is the source for these users? Can't they be pulled from DB / LDAP / ...?

Regards.

[1] https://github.com/apache/syncope/blob/2_0_X/common/lib/src/main/java/org/apache/syncope/common/lib/to/BulkAction.java#L41-L46
[2] http://syncope.apache.org/docs/reference-guide.html#client-library

On 19/09/2016 12:15, Mani, Vellingiri (Nokia - IN) wrote:

Thanks Francesco!!

After adding username, it works.

RE: Syncope user creation from REST client

Mani, Vellingiri (Nokia - IN)

Ok.  I understand your response.

which is the source for these users?

Actually, we have user information in text/excel file. Creating users manually is a difficult job. We don’t have external connector.

Regards,

Vellingiri

On 19/09/2016 12:15, Mani, Vellingiri (Nokia - IN) wrote:

Thanks Francesco!!

After adding username, it works.

Glad it helped :-)
Regards.

On 19/09/2016 12:49, Mani, Vellingiri (Nokia - IN) wrote:

Ok.  I understand your response.

> which is the source for these users?

Actually, we have user information in text/excel file. Creating users manually is a difficult job. We don’t have external connector.

You might want to consider the CSVDir connector:

https://connid.atlassian.net/wiki/display/BASE/CSV+Directory

You will need to play around a bit with its configuration, but it should work.

Regards.

RE: Syncope user creation from REST client

Mani, Vellingiri (Nokia - IN)

Hi Francesco,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I tried the below steps to create users from .csv file.

I could see pull tasks “execution status” are SUCCESS but I don’t find users are getting created in syncope. If any configuration is missed, please let me know.

1.       Verified csvdir bundle exists in /var/lib/apache-syncope/bundles/

2.       Created “/opt/csv-files/test.csv”

cat test.csv

username,testcolumn

usr1,test

3.       From admin console, created csvdir connector instance with below values

Display name=csv-conn

Location=/var/lib/apache-syncope/bundles

Bundle=net.tirasa.connid.bundles.csvdir

Source path=/opt/csv-files [override selected]

File mask=*.csv [override selected]

Key column name=username

Column names=testcolumn [override selected]

Capabilities=CREATE

*** other values are default

4.       Created csv resource with below values

Key=csv-resource

Connector=csv-conn

Source path=/opt/csv-files [override selected]

File mask=*.csv [override selected]

Column names=testcolumn [override selected]

*** other values are default

5.       Created pull task

Name=pulltest

Destination Realm=/

Pull mode=FULL_RECONCILIATION

Schedule=Every 5 minutes

*** other values are default

Regards,

Vellingiri

On 19/09/2016 12:49, Mani, Vellingiri (Nokia - IN) wrote:

Ok.  I understand your response.

> which is the source for these users?

Actually, we have user information in text/excel file. Creating users manually is a difficult job. We don’t have external connector.

You might want to consider the CSVDir connector:

https://connid.atlassian.net/wiki/display/BASE/CSV+Directory

You will need to play around a bit with its configuration, but it should work.

Regards.

Re: Syncope user creation from REST client

andrea patricelli

Hi Mani Vellingiri,

You could start from a working example to see a complete (and working) configuration of CSV connector.

You could run the standalone Syncope distribution and see how it works, please refer to [1] for Syncope <= 1.2 and to [2] for later versions.
After running the tomcat, you'll find the console at http://localhost:9080/syncope-console/

You might also check logs to have hints about what's happening during tasks. To configure log levels please refer to [3] for Syncope <= 1.2 and [4] for later versions
You will find logs for the standalone distribution into the log directory of the Apache Tomcat (core-*.log are very useful).

HTH,
Andrea

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SYNCOPE/Run+Syncope+standalone+distribution
[2] http://syncope.apache.org/docs/getting-started.html#standalone
[3] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SYNCOPE/Log+levels
[4] http://syncope.apache.org/docs/reference-guide.html

Il 20/09/2016 15:57, Mani, Vellingiri (Nokia - IN) ha scritto:

Hi Francesco,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I tried the below steps to create users from .csv file.

I could see pull tasks “execution status” are SUCCESS but I don’t find users are getting created in syncope. If any configuration is missed, please let me know.

1.       Verified csvdir bundle exists in /var/lib/apache-syncope/bundles/

2.       Created “/opt/csv-files/test.csv”

cat test.csv

username,testcolumn

usr1,test

3.       From admin console, created csvdir connector instance with below values

Display name=csv-conn

Location=/var/lib/apache-syncope/bundles

Bundle=net.tirasa.connid.bundles.csvdir

Source path=/opt/csv-files [override selected]

File mask=*.csv [override selected]

Key column name=username

Column names=testcolumn [override selected]

Capabilities=CREATE

*** other values are default

4.       Created csv resource with below values

Key=csv-resource

Connector=csv-conn

Source path=/opt/csv-files [override selected]

File mask=*.csv [override selected]

Column names=testcolumn [override selected]

*** other values are default

5.       Created pull task

Name=pulltest

Destination Realm=/

Pull mode=FULL_RECONCILIATION

Schedule=Every 5 minutes

*** other values are default

Regards,

Vellingiri

On 19/09/2016 12:49, Mani, Vellingiri (Nokia - IN) wrote:

Ok.  I understand your response.

> which is the source for these users?

Actually, we have user information in text/excel file. Creating users manually is a difficult job. We don’t have external connector.

You might want to consider the CSVDir connector:

https://connid.atlassian.net/wiki/display/BASE/CSV+Directory

You will need to play around a bit with its configuration, but it should work.

Regards.

RE: Syncope user creation from REST client

Mani, Vellingiri (Nokia - IN)

Hi Andrea,

Thanks a lot for your response.

We are able to do bulk user creation via CSV connector in standalone Syncope distribution.

As we cannot proceed with standalone version for deployment evaluation, now we are trying to replicate the configuration of CSV connector from standalone syncope to debian version and then check it works or not.

When creating CSV connector:

In syncope standalone, Location is: connid://testconnectorserver@localhost:4554

In debian syncope, Location is: file:/var/lib/apache-syncope/bundles/

***Location field in both standalone and debian version is read-only

So can I assume csv connector server is not required in debian environment  ?

Can we use any absolute path like ‘/opt/csv-files’ for the ‘Source path*’ field during csv connector creation?

[1] <a href="https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SYNCOPE/Run&#43;Syncope&#43;standalone&#43;distribution"> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SYNCOPE/Run+Syncope+standalone+distribution
[2] http://syncope.apache.org/docs/getting-started.html#standalone
[3] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SYNCOPE/Log+levels
[4] http://syncope.apache.org/docs/reference-guide.html

Il 20/09/2016 15:57, Mani, Vellingiri (Nokia - IN) ha scritto:

Hi Francesco,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I tried the below steps to create users from .csv file.

I could see pull tasks “execution status” are SUCCESS but I don’t find users are getting created in syncope. If any configuration is missed, please let me know.

1.       Verified csvdir bundle exists in /var/lib/apache-syncope/bundles/

2.       Created “/opt/csv-files/test.csv”

cat test.csv

username,testcolumn

usr1,test

3.       From admin console, created csvdir connector instance with below values

Display name=csv-conn

Location=/var/lib/apache-syncope/bundles

Bundle=net.tirasa.connid.bundles.csvdir

Source path=/opt/csv-files [override selected]

File mask=*.csv [override selected]

Key column name=username

Column names=testcolumn [override selected]

Capabilities=CREATE

*** other values are default

4.       Created csv resource with below values

Key=csv-resource

Connector=csv-conn

Source path=/opt/csv-files [override selected]

File mask=*.csv [override selected]

Column names=testcolumn [override selected]

*** other values are default

5.       Created pull task

Name=pulltest

Destination Realm=/

Pull mode=FULL_RECONCILIATION

Schedule=Every 5 minutes

*** other values are default

Regards,

Vellingiri

On 19/09/2016 12:49, Mani, Vellingiri (Nokia - IN) wrote:

Ok.  I understand your response.

> which is the source for these users?

Actually, we have user information in text/excel file. Creating users manually is a difficult job. We don’t have external connector.

You might want to consider the CSVDir connector:

https://connid.atlassian.net/wiki/display/BASE/CSV+Directory

You will need to play around a bit with its configuration, but it should work.

Regards.

Re: Syncope user creation from REST client

andrea patricelli

Hi Mani Vellingiri,

AFAIK there is no reason why debian packages installation should not work with the same configuration as the standalone. I think that connectors location is not involved in your problem.

Il 22/09/2016 11:49, Mani, Vellingiri (Nokia - IN) ha scritto:

Hi Andrea,

Thanks a lot for your response.

We are able to do bulk user creation via CSV connector in standalone Syncope distribution.

As we cannot proceed with standalone version for deployment evaluation, now we are trying to replicate the configuration of CSV connector from standalone syncope to debian version and then check it works or not.

When creating CSV connector:

In syncope standalone, Location is: connid://testconnectorserver@localhost:4554

In debian syncope, Location is: file:/var/lib/apache-syncope/bundles/

***Location field in both standalone and debian version is read-only

So can I assume csv connector server is not required in debian environment  ?

Can we use any absolute path like ‘/opt/csv-files’ for the ‘Source path*’ field during csv connector creation?

ConnID locations specify how to look for connector bundles (the jars). Please refer to [1], maybe that paragraph will clarify what I'm saying.
You can add whatever path to scan.

Regards,

Vellingiri

[1] http://syncope.apache.org/docs/reference-guide.html#configure-connid-locations