Trouble running synchronization tasks

12

Trouble running synchronization tasks

Daniel DeFreez
Hi,

I am having trouble running synchronization tasks. When I request execution the task does not appear to run, and the last execution time is not updated.

I am running Syncope 1.0.0-RC2-incubating on Tomcat, and I am trying to follow the 'Synchronize Active Directory with SQL database' guide. I was able to create a connector for MySQL and a connector for AD, and the connection test passes. I have created a resource for each and added a schema mapping. I have create a synchronization task to read the data from the database and populated some dummy data in the db.

Most of the time when I try to run the synchronization task, nothing happens. No failure, no success, and the last execution time for the task is not updated. Once in a while the task does seem to run, but most of the time not. I don't see anything relevant in the logs. When I run a synchronization task in embedded mode, it updates the last execution time every time I click the execute button.

Any ideas at what I should look at? Is there something I forgot to do here? I apologize if I just missed a step.

Thanks,

Daniel

This seems to have mostly been a result of my impatience and clicking the execute task button too often. It has worked itself out for the moment. I'm sorry for the spam.

On 20/07/2012 20:54, Daniel DeFreez wrote:

[...]

Hi Daniel,
sorry for late response.

Even though you've found how to get things working, your experience seems to confirm my feelings about everything that can be executed in Syncope (tasks and reports) and the admin input from console.

In particular, I'd like to modify the console behavior so that a new execution cannot be requested until a task or a report is already under execution: of course we'd need some handle to prevent or recover from race or other error conditions...

WDYT?

http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: Trouble running synchronization tasks

Daniel DeFreez
Hi Daniel,
sorry for late response.

Even though you've found how to get things working, your experience seems to confirm my feelings about everything that can be executed in Syncope (tasks and reports) and the admin input from console.

In particular, I'd like to modify the console behavior so that a new execution cannot be requested until a task or a report is already under execution: of course we'd need some handle to prevent or recover from race or other error conditions...

WDYT?

http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Thank you for your reply. It is appreciated.

From the perspective of someone who is trying to learn how to use Syncope, one of the most helpful improvements would be feedback in the console as to why a task did not run. This is distinct from the success/failure result of a task after execution. After a task execution is requested, there does not appear to be any feedback as to whether or not the task will actually run, or why it did not run. When executing a task, the only feedback is 'Operation executed successfully,' even if the task may fail to run. The last execution date should update under all conditions with the result. If the result is something like 'Cannot execute more than one instance of this task,' or whatever the actual error is, that would be great.

Daniel

R: Trouble running synchronization tasks

dsigno
[...]

I Agree, it's useful for the admin know if previous synchronization task is under execution.

On 23/07/2012 16:42, Daniel DeFreez wrote:
Hi Daniel,
sorry for late response.

Even though you've found how to get things working, your experience seems to confirm my feelings about everything that can be executed in Syncope (tasks and reports) and the admin input from console.

In particular, I'd like to modify the console behavior so that a new execution cannot be requested until a task or a report is already under execution: of course we'd need some handle to prevent or recover from race or other error conditions...

WDYT?

Thank you for your reply. It is appreciated.

You're welcome :-)

From the perspective of someone who is trying to learn how to use Syncope, one of the most helpful improvements would be feedback in the console as to why a task did not run. This is distinct from the success/failure result of a task after execution. After a task execution is requested, there does not appear to be any feedback as to whether or not the task will actually run, or why it did not run. When executing a task, the only feedback is 'Operation executed successfully,' even if the task may fail to run. The last execution date should update under all conditions with the result. If the result is something like 'Cannot execute more than one instance of this task,' or whatever the actual error is, that would be great.

Thanks for these very helpful suggestions: I'll add them to the correspondent JIRA issue(s) for next release.

http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

R: Trouble running synchronization tasks

dsigno
Hi guys,

About Synchronization Task I would like to know how Syncope works and what's the expected behavior.

In particulare what's happen if I submit a Sync Task Request while this an already started synch task under execution?
Submitted request it's queued or discarded ?

And about tracing/logging of Task Executions.
Is there a cache (writes or reads) that can delay logging Task Executions on console?

Many thanks,
Denis.

Daniel

On 26/07/2012 13:13, Denis Signoretto wrote:
Hi guys,

About Synchronization Task I would like to know how Syncope works and what's the expected behavior.

In particulare what's happen if I submit a Sync Task Request while this an already started synch task under execution?
Submitted request it's queued or discarded ?

Hi Denis,
everything that gets asynchronous execution is currently handled by Quartz.

Every job in Syncope extends AbstractTaskJob [1] which in turns implements Quartz's StatefulJob [2]: as you can read from there, "new triggers that occur before the completion of the execute(xx) method will be delayed."

Hence: queued.

And about tracing/logging of Task Executions.
Is there a cache (writes or reads) that can delay logging Task Executions on console?

There isn't any cache of this kind: however, there is currently no automatic refresh on console side to update such information. As you can read from roadmap [3], such aspects will be fixed in next release 1.1.0.

Regards.

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/syncope/trunk/core/src/main/java/org/apache/syncope/core/scheduling/AbstractTaskJob.java
[2] http://quartz-scheduler.org/api/1.8.5/org/quartz/StatefulJob.html
[3] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SYNCOPE/Roadmap

http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

propagationTOs not displayed

dsigno
Hello,

I have just configured one Synchronization Task on two
External resources in a fresh installation of Syncope 1.0.0-RC3 (on Oracle DB 10g).

Even though Syncronization Tasks are correctly completed
I noticed that propagationTOs it's never displayed on Users List propagationTOs.

I also tried setting trace level to "ALL" both resources.

It's a bug or am I misunderstanding the meaning of propagationTOs field?

Thanks,
Denis.

Re: propagationTOs not displayed

On 27/07/2012 15:58, Denis Signoretto wrote:
Hello,

I have just configured one Synchronization Task on two
External resources in a fresh installation of Syncope 1.0.0-RC3 (on Oracle DB 10g).

Hi Denis,
a synchronization task is defined for a single external resource: what do you mean by "one Synchronization Task on two
External resources"?

Even though Syncronization Tasks are correctly completed
I noticed that propagationTOs it's never displayed on Users List propagationTOs.

I also tried setting trace level to "ALL" both resources.

It's a bug or am I misunderstanding the meaning of propagationTOs field?

Sorry, I don't understand: what do you mean by "propagationTOs field"?
What would you expect to have, once a synchronization task has executed successfully? Where (in the console)?

http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

R: propagationTOs not displayed

dsigno
On 27/07/2012 15:58, Denis Signoretto wrote:
Hello,

I have just configured one Synchronization Task on two
External resources in a fresh installation of Syncope 1.0.0-RC3 (on Oracle DB 10g).

Hi Denis,
a synchronization task is defined for a single external resource: what do you mean by "one Synchronization Task on two
External resources"?

Sorry I made a mistake. I'll try to describe it better.
I have configured one Synchronization Task from one External Resource and two Provisioning Task towards two External resources.
A ll of them use DB Adapter.

Even though Syncronization Tasks are correctly completed
I noticed that propagationTOs it's never displayed on Users List propagationTOs.

I also tried setting trace level to "ALL" both resources.

It's a bug or am I misunderstanding the meaning of propagationTOs field?

Sorry, I don't understand: what do you mean by "propagationTOs field"?
What would you expect to have, once a synchronization task has executed successfully? Where (in the console)?

In the console. On tab Users > List. I checked "propagationTOs" from the list of attribute given in "Change display attributes"

Regads.

On 27/07/2012 16:23, Denis Signoretto wrote:
[...]

Ok, I've finally been able to understand :-)

You are right, it's a bug: I've opened SYNCOPE-118 for this.

[...]

after some diving into the code, I've finally found why this propagationTOs attribute is always shown as empty, and updated SYNCOPE-118 accordingly.

As you can read from there, this happens because the information contained in the propagationTOs attribute is actually shown when clicking on the leftmost icon on each user's row.

By clicking on such icon, in fact, a separate request is sent to the server to inquiry the status of the given user on all associated external resources.
This inquiry operation is quite heavy to be performed by default for all users shown, hence the corresponding propagationTOs attribute is always empty by default.

Fix: don't show 'propagationTOs' among available display attributes in user list.

http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

R: propagationTOs not displayed

dsigno
Hi Francesco,

Do you thik it could be useful show the last propagation tasks status stored in the Syncope database?
(avoiding access to all external resources ?)

Bye,
Denis.

Denis Signoretto | Senior Project Manager

Intesys - Via Roveggia 122 A - 37136 Verona
Tel. 045 503663 | Fax 045 503604
[hidden email]
www.intesys.it

Le informazioni contenute nella presente e-mail e nei suoi allegati potrebbero essere confidenziali/riservate e sono dirette unicamente ai destinatari sopra indicati. In caso di ricezione da parte di persona diversa è vietato qualunque tipo di divulgazione o copia anche parziale. Chi riceva questo messaggio per errore è pregato di inoltrarlo al mittente e di cancellare questa e-mail.

This e-mail and its attachments may contain confidential/reserved information and is intended only for the use of the address(es) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient of this message, please note that distribution or copying of this communication is forbidden. Anyone who receives this communication in error should return it immediately to the sender and delete the message.

On 30/07/2012 09:17, Denis Signoretto wrote:
Hi Francesco,

Do you thik it could be useful show the last propagation tasks status stored in the Syncope database?
(avoiding access to all external resources ?)

Do you mean a sort of "shortcut" for accessing the latest (propagation) task execution for each of external resources associated to the given user?
It could be an useful information indeed, but I think it should involve some redesign of the current 'Users' tab in order to avoid confusion with other information available.

Regards.

http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

R: propagationTOs not displayed

dsigno
Hi Francesco,

I was meaning exacly what you wrote.
It could be just a list of the last task execution stauts.

I Agree with you that it's important avoiding confusion.

Regards.
Denis.

http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Allow Connector update the database schema without restart

dsigno
Hi Syncopers,

at the moment if an external resource schema changes (e.g. column added or renamed),
the DB connector, can't see the changes until a Syncope restart (I'm wrong?).

As a future improvement what do you think about a "db schema update" functionality for DB connector?

Regards,
Denis.

Re: Allow Connector update the database schema without restart

On 30/07/2012 09:41, Denis Signoretto wrote:
Hi Syncopers,

at the moment if an external resource schema changes (e.g. column added or renamed),
the DB connector, can't see the changes until a Syncope restart (I'm wrong?).

As a future improvement what do you think about a "db schema update" functionality for DB connector?

Hi Denis,
sorry, I've completely overlooked this e-mail (it was archived in the wrong mail thread...): could you please describe with some more detail the feature you are looking for? I suspect this is more ConnId's than Syncope's...

http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

R: Allow Connector update the database schema without restart

dsigno
Hi Francesco,

probably yes it could be an issue related to ConnId Table Connector.

If you alter a table, for instance adding a column, and you try to update schema mapping on a existing resource
the structure of the table it's not reread and the new column cannot be associated until a JVM restart (this is the only solution I've found).

Best Regards,
Denis.

On 10/09/2012 09:38, Denis Signoretto wrote:
Hi Francesco,

probably yes it could be an issue related to ConnId Table Connector.

If you alter a table, for instance adding a column, and you try to update schema mapping on a existing resource
the structure of the table it's not reread and the new column cannot be associated until a JVM restart (this is the only solution I've found).

Denis,
I've run the following procedure:

1. generate a project from 1.0.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT or 1.1.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT archetypes (both tested)
2. mvn clean package
3. cd console && mvn -P embedded

At this point:

1. go to http://localhost:9082
2. select "Generic H2 (Server)"
3. set JDBC URL to "jdbc:h2:tcp://localhost:9092/testdb"
4. set username 'sa' and password 'sa'
5. connect
6. send SQL statement 'ALTER TABLE TEST ADD COLUMN newcol VARCHAR(255)'

Then:

1. log in http://localhost:9080/syncope-console/
2, go to resources -> resource-testdb -> mapping

The column "NEWCOL" is there when adding a new mapping, hence I am not able to reproduce what you say above. Is this the kind of result you are looking for?

Actually, "NEWCOL" is the only column available (because the other 3 columns are mapped to special ConnId attributes) and this makes the console to show NEWCOL everywhere.

I am going to open an issue for this (probably related to SYNCOPE-207).

Regards.